Thursday, October 8, 2009

Passion- Brandie Breedlove

One thing I am very passionate about is fighting to stop child abuse. Having four kids myself, I understand how a parent can feel overwhelmed and frustrated. I understand the urge to put your hands on your disruptive child.
I don’t, however, understand what stops an adult from taking their own time-outs, to calm down and breathe. Not one day goes by where I don’t feel like pulling my own hair out and screaming at the top of my lungs. As an adult, I back away. I remove myself from the situation and chill out before any time-outs, or restrictions are enforced.
I don’t care if you are down in the dumps, and have lost your home. I don’t care if you have ten kids and are a single parent. There is no excuse. I have been unemployed for a year now, and I am a single parent. I recently lost my house and am now living with my aunt and grandma in their small two bedroom apartment. There is nothing you can tell me about frustration.
I also have one son with ADHD and another with developmental disabilities. Frustrating? Yes. To the point where it is affecting my judgment? Sometimes. Never to the point where my children are in harms way. I know as a logical human being that my children did not ask to be born. They did not choose the life we have made for them. These are the reasons why I feel so passionately about stopping child abuse. Children are gifts and should not be treated like baggage.

No comments:

Post a Comment